The theological multiverse

Latest post in my blog on popular science:

The theological multiverse
http://populscience.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-theological-multiverse.html

Regards and happy new year.

1 Like

Thank you, Manuel, for another fascinating blog. Multiverses, of course, are depicted in fantasy literature including those of Lewis and Tolkien. But the theological multiverse is supported both by the Hebrew and
Christian Scriptures and by historical church tradition. All historical churches believe in an abode of the dead although the details of what they believe about the abode itself may differ. And all historical (by historical I mean those church traditions committed
to the Apostles’ Creed), believe in the Second Coming of Christ wherein He re-creates a new “heavens and earth.” Our status as “new creation” in Christ is actually the beginning of the new heavens and earth. Lewis says somewhere Christians are a new species
of humanity which is another way of saying the same thing.

If one believes that the abode of the dead and the abode of the resurrected human body (i.e., “new heavens and earth”) are distinctive “places,” then at least three “universes” exist: that in which we live today,
that in which we dwell in the interim between our death and Christ’s return, and that of the universe as it will be when Christ returns. One could also speculate a fourth universe, that of the angels (and possibly including evil angels), who are not likely
to be omnipresent but are beings who “come and go” from our world from “somewhere” and “sometime.”

What we can be certain is that the same God Who created this lovely universe so rich with goodness and beauty can and is creating another “place” equally for Himself and us to dwell together.

Ruby

1 Like