The Roman calendar

Latest post in my blog on popular science:
The Roman calendar
http://populscience.blogspot.com/2020/06/the-roman-calendar.html

Regards,

1 Like

I’ve mentioned before that the Russian Orthodox Church still goes by the Julian calendar, which was amended in 1582 by Pope Gregory XIII and gradually became the generally accepted modern calendar. As a result of Pope Gregory’s changes, the Julian calendar is now 13 days behind the modern calendar, e.g. Russian Christmas falls on January 7, and the date for Easter is calculated in a different way (which is actually true for all Orthodox Churches, even those that otherwise use the modern calendar). The Julian calendar was also the official civil calendar of Russia before the Communist Revolution of 1917.

The only Lewis connection I can think of is his description of his visit to a Greek Orthodox church in the second chapter of “Letters to Malcolm”:

“What pleased me most about a Greek Orthodox mass I once attended was that there seemed to be no prescribed behavior for the congregation. Some stood, some knelt, some sat, some walked; one crawled about the floor like a caterpillar. And the beauty of it was that nobody took the slightest notice of what anyone else was doing.”

This description by Lewis fits fairly well with what he may have observed in my Russian Orthodox church as well.

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)

Wonderfully written and informative, Manuel.

Michael

Yes, I had noticed this Lewis quotation too. But then, I read in a Spanish newspaper an article by a man who had visited a Russian Orthodox church in Russia during the mass, and saw a man walking through the church all the time, using a cane to prod everyone who was not in the appropriate position, so that they would conform.

I suppose it depends on the parish priest :slight_smile:

Regards,

Yes, there are parishioners in Russian Orthodox churches like that, and probably in many other churches in the world as well, unfortunately. I guess it was good that Lewis did not encounter that during his visit.

Dimitry