The most surprising scientific failures

Latest post in my blog on popular science:
https://populscience.blogspot.com/2022/05/the-most-surprising-scientific-failures.html

Regards,

Sorry, the previous e-mail had a wrong address.

Latest post in my blog on popular science:
https://populscience.blogspot.com/2022/05/lord-kelvin-magazine-science-news-has.html

Regards,

The “canals” on Mars (#8) bring to mind, of course, Out of the Silent Planet, which Lewis was able to situate on Mars because Mariner 4 had not yet sent back photos from there. The same goes for Venus, which we now know is certainly not a place where Eden might be located. On the other hand, That Hideous Strength would still work.

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)

True! Although we still can’t keep alive a human head without the body. And I hope it will be a long time before we can.

Regards,

True, Manuel, but the “head” in THS was apparently used by a “macrobe,” which sounds like a demonic possession, to communicate. An evil spirit can use most anything to communicate. I, too, hope that we will never be able to keep a human head alive without its body. I think we can be suspicious of anything which demands worship of itself. There is a piece of statuary on Belmont University campus which is a dollar sign with two human figures, one bent under it and one standing above it. The title is “Master or servant.”

Ruby

Yes, the “head” in THS was possessed, so the original proprietor of the head was no longer in control. You wrote: “I think we can be suspicious of anything which demands worship of itself.” This is Satan’s request. He tempted Jesus in this way.

About the statuary on Belmont University, it could be a good representation of “The abolition of man.” The conclusion of this book was: “For the power of Man to make himself what he pleases means, as we have seen, the power of some men to make other men what they please.” In June I’ll post about this book in my blog.

Regards,

Ruby, you wrote:
“I think we can be suspicious of anything which demands worship of itself”. Except for God, HImself, of course, which Lewis writes about in “Reflections on the Psalms”.

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)