Signposts on the road

At the end of Surprised by Joy, Lewis writes:

“But what, in conclusion, of Joy? for that, after all, is what the story has mainly been about. To tell you the truth, the subject has lost nearly all interest since I became a Christian…When we are lost in the woods the sight of a signpost is a great matter…But when we have found the road and are passing signposts every few miles, we shall not stop and stare. They will encourage us and we shall be grateful to the authority that set them up. But we shall not stop and stare, or not much; not on this road, though their pillars are of silver and their lettering of gold. ‘We would be at Jerusalem’…Not of course, that I don’t often catch myself stopping to stare at roadside objects of even less importance.”

But I think that we all need, at least occasionally, to see such “signposts”. Some recent (less important) ones for me, which remind me of God:

Walking out of my house into warm sunlight in our wooded neighborhood.

Walking toward a lake and hearing the sound of children’s voices.

Walking away from the lake into the peace of the surrounding woods.

Feeling the gentle touch of my handicapped son.

Listening to beautiful music.

Any other suggestions?

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)