Reading about pauline baynes

Pauline Baynes, of course, was the illustrator for Lewis’s Narnia Chronicles. I just started re-reading The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and thought of reading a little about Pauline Baynes. I think that her illustrations are an intrinsic part of the Narnia experience.

From reading Lewis’s letters, I recalled that he was sometimes not totally satisfied with Baynes’s work, although he never told her that directly, understanding that that would be devastating for her.

And, apparently, she was not aware that Aslan was a Christ figure until she illustrated The Last Battle. For her, the Narnia Chronicles were “work”. And yet, how wonderful, I think, that work was! How mysterious (and wonderous) are God’s ways!

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)