Mind and cosmos

Latest post in my blog on popular science:
Mind and cosmos
http://populscience.blogspot.com/2020/09/mind-and-cosmos.html

Regards,

1 Like

It’s that I hope that there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that.

…and yet the atheists are so quick to accuse the Christians of wish-fulfillment. I suppose he deserves credit for honesty on this, if nothing else.

Separately, Lewis puts another skewer in materialistic reductionism in, I believe, Mere Christianity, pointing out that if we’re nothing more than (as James White often phrases it, I believe in reference to something out of Star Trek) “ugly bags of mostly water,” then any sort of free will–any will at all, in fact–is only an illusion[1]. If the measurable, material world is all there is, then everything any one of us thinks or does is purely deterministic–the inevitable result of physical processes in our brains and elsewhere in our bodies. What else, after all, could cause it?

1. Somewhat interestingly, I read a review of MC on librarything.com that cited this argument as instrumental in the reviewer’s conversion to atheism. He apparently believed that it was so self-evidently wrong that not only was it not worth the effort to explain why, but if it was the best the great C.S. Lewis could do, that was somehow a disproof, not only of Christianity, but of theism. I suspect rational thought was not this individual’s strong suit. ↩︎