Lewis quote - source?

Does anyone know where this quote comes from? I had never heard it before.

Blessings
Roy

It seems unlikely to be by Lewis. See

It didn’t sound like something that he had written.

Thanks for sharing that link. I had not seen that site before.

Blessings
Roy

The recent Spare Oom exchange about a quote alleged to be from C. S. Lewis when it was not, is the second instance of my seeing that error. A colleague I taught with used to say of certain words, “That is a word to conjure with.” I think the expression applies. It is nice, on the one hand, but disturbing in its dishonesty. (Perhaps an honest mistake but someone started it.)

Since it is time to break the silence in Spare Oom, I have a question for Spare Oomers: What quote of Lewis has come to your mind recently?

For starters:

At 86, I am fond of quoting Lewis’s description of aging: “sinking ignominiously beneath burdens carried so lightly before.” (And then I gasp to think that he was only in his 60’s when God called him Home!)

When I watch the news…his “progress” quip: “When it happens in an egg, you call it going bad.”

After a glitch-filled day, when all websites conspire to not recognize your passwords, and files decide to hide, and your coffee spills all over your desk…I asked myself, realizing what a dither I was in, “What has this to do with the spiritual battle that we, as believers, are all in, every day?” Then Lewis piped up with the reminder, “We are in enemy-occupied territory.” (And the Spirit answered, “Nothing, unless you let it. Unless discouragement or doubt make you an unfit warrior.”)

Lastly, since I’m writing on Spare Oom, some lines penned (typed) in mid-March. Lewis connection: He aspired to be a poet.

The Limits of Power

Tiny, invisible microbug,
Drives the world indoors,
Empties all the stores,
Shutters office doors.
Takes money, once secure,
Takes the old, leaving hearts sore,
Shakes the fearful to the core,
But brings the faithful to pour
out their hearts, in thankfulness,
to the God of love and power,
Who rules, Who listens,
Who loves–look at the Cross.
His ways are not our ways.
In the loss, there will be gain.

lhw, Lake Monticello

March, 2020

Lois

1 Like

Looking for quotes? This comes to mind whenever the government decides to “help”. And, from where I sit, it seems all too appropriate these days.

“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

1 Like

Thanks, Russel! Great quote!

I run across it a bit myself–Lewis seems a popular person to misattribute witty remarks to. Here’s one I ran across a few times a few months ago (also with a nice image as a background):

To one who knows Lewis, it pretty clearly isn’t him (especially in 1942). Better attribution here:

Ah, yes, Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

“But that would be putting the clock back,” gasped the governor. “Have you no idea of progress, of development?”
“I have seen them both in an egg,” said Caspian. “We call it ‘Going Bad’ in Narnia. This trade [of slaves] must stop.”

Chapter 4, page 59 in my copy.

Hahaha. This is like the thousands of supposedly “inspirational” quotes being posted for years now allegedly from actor Keanu Reeves. Virtually all of them are fake — and many are not all that inspiring or clever — but this pablum gets recirculated over and over because of it being supposedly uttered by someone popular.

I hope Jack does not become widely co-opted in this fashion. Ugh!

Michael

That’s one my all-time favorite Abe Lincoln quotes, Dan!

Lois, I like your poem. Inspiring. Do you recall where Lewis’s quote about aging is from?

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)