Glimpses of heaven

Having just finished re-reading “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader’ and Reepicheep sailing off into Aslan’s country, I recalled two other descriptions of heaven in Lewis’s fiction: the last chapters of “The Last Battle”, and “The Great Divorce”. I think the most attractive side of them is the portrayal of the friendship and love that exists between the characters in “The Last Battle”, and the love shown by the Bright Spirits to their recalcitrant Ghosts in “The Great Divorce”. This also brought to mind a dream I had about going to heaven. It was a big library room, full of people sending warm rays of love into me, which I could not reciprocate. But the primary feeling was not about not being able to reciprocate, but about the warmth of the rays. Isn’t this what heaven should be like? God is love, but His love is expressed primarily through people, no?

Isn’t this what heaven should be like? God is love, but His love is expressed primarily through people, no?

Which brings to mind the ‘new’ command Jesus gave to his disciples - “love one another as I have loved you”.

I remember as a child reading the last chapters of "The Last Battle” and being particularly moved by the final paragraph which expresses the unending joy of heaven.

Eric