Four ways to achieve immortality

Latest post in my blog on popular science:
Four ways to achieve immortality
https://populscience.blogspot.com/2022/11/four-ways-to-achieve-immortality.html

Regards,

it would be difficult for you to survive

Understatement is alive and well, I see.

The supporters of this method believe that the increase in life expectancy is accelerating

Anticipating your next post, no doubt, but isn’t this simply incorrect? This graph, for example, would seem to show the opposite–that while life expectancy is increasing, the rate at which it is doing so is decreasing:

“Developed countries” includes more than the United States, of course, but I’d think we’re reasonably representative in this regard.

it would be difficult for you to survive

Understatement is alive and well, I see.

:grin:

The supporters of this method believe that the increase in life expectancy is accelerating

Anticipating your next post, no doubt, but isn’t this simply incorrect? This graph, for example, would seem to show the opposite–that while life expectancy is increasing, the rate at which it is doing so is decreasing:

Yes, you’ve anticipated my next post! But ideology is now stronger than data. People wanting to be immortal here and now won’t believe the data if they go against their wishes.

Regards,

Sadly, this is true in many fields. We say, “seeing is believing,” but it’s more accurate to say that “believing is seeing.” Lewis opens his essay on miracles in God in the Dock with this observation:

I have known only one person in my life who claimed to have seen a ghost. It was a woman; and the interesting thing is that she disbelieved in the immortality of the soul before seeing the ghost and still disbelieves after having seen it. She thinks it was a hallucination. In other words, seeing is not believing.