Do Not Lose Heart

This a scriptural meditation from the Russian book, “Day by Day”. Lewis connection follows:

"Scripture: ‘Let us not lose heart in doing good; for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up’ (Gal: 6,9)

"Meditation:

"We are not always capable of completing good work which we have conceived: how often obstacles arise which we need to fight against, how often both people and circumstances – everything is against us! Then we lose heart and it seems to us that we don’t have enough strength to continue to fight, and we are ready to give up the work we have begun.

“But a true Christian cannot lose heart; he knows that the Lord will bless his intention if it is truly worthy, and placing everything in His hands, he firmly proceeds without sparing his energy or effort, forgetting himself and enduring all difficulties without complaint. Bearing in mind only the final goal of his work, he listens only to the voice of the Savior, which repeats after every failure: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and also trust in Me” (John: 14, 1), – and these words lead him ever further.”

One Lewis connection that comes to mind is Puddleglum not giving up in The Silver Chair, despite the heavy enchantment produced by the witch. I’m not sure about his reasoning, i.e. “Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones…I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t any Aslan to lead it. I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia”, but his determination to keep fighting despite everything is what won the day.

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)