Diabolical stuff

This is from a preface by Lewis to an edition of The Screwtape Letters:

"It was during the second German War that the letters of Screwtape appeared in (now extinct) The Guardian. I hope that did not hasten its death, but they certainly lost it one reader. A country clergyman wrote to the editor, withdrawing his subscription on the ground that ‘much of the advice given in these letters seemed to him not only erroneous but positively diabolical’ "

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)

I assume it’s been revived, then? Because there certainly is a currently-printing publication called The Guardian.

That misses the point even more thoroughly than the chief of the Dufflepods. But I guess that shouldn’t be too surprising–we still see people sharing articles from The Onion or The Babylon Bee as though they were factual (though in their defense, the Bee often seems to do better at reporting actual news than so-called “news” outlets).

Two quite different newspapers are involved here. The current newspaper named The Guardian used to be the Manchester Guardian; the defunct Guardian was a Church of England newspaper, presumably along the lines of the extant Church Times or the imaginatively named Church of England Newspaper.

I’m not sure when the Manchester Guardian changed its name, although I have an idea that it was in mty own boyhood, so perhaps it was in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Or perhaps my idea is quite wrong.

I can’t imagine how that could be in the least confusing, but it at least explains what’s going on–thanks.