Christ is always with us

The following is a translation of a scriptural meditation from the Russian book, Day by Day. Lewis connection follows.

"Scripture: ‘And behold, I am with you every day, to the end of the age’ (Matt: 28, 20)

"Meditation:

"What a deep meaning these words have! Note that Christ does not say that He was or will be with us, but that He is with us at present. It happens that we do not realize His presence, and our gaze is sometimes clouded by tears or blinded by the false glitter of the world’s tinsel. And finally, when our cup is full to the brim, it seems to us that the Lord has abandoned us.

"The Savior Himself experienced this feeling of despair when He was suffering on the cross. But nevertheless, the Lord is invariably with us always and everywhere, pitying us, constantly caring for us, and waiting for the moment when, like the disciples on the road to Emmaus, or Mary, crying at the empty grave, we will awaken to the joyful realization of His presence.

"Let us always remember these words: ‘every day’. During the joyless days of winter, when we are surrounded by dark clouds, during the days of sickness and suffering, and during the days of temptation and trials, just as during the most joyful days of our lives, when the sky is blue and our soul is full of jubilation. Our closest friends may separate themselves from us, but the Lord is always near to those who call on Him. He walks with us through deep waves and over sandy deserts. He stands with us on the edge of the abyss. We are not alone with Him, and gradually getting used to this thought, we will never again feel lonely. Let us engrave deeply in our hearts these words: ‘I am with you always, to the end of the age.’ "

The first Lewis connection that comes to mind is Aslan, of course, who is always present, visibly or invisibly, in Narnia. Another, non-fiction quote is from Lewis’s letter to Mary Shelburne, of June 17, 1963, who was worried about dying soon. The letter was written a few months before Lewis’s own death:

"Don’t you think Our Lord says to you ‘Peace, child, peace. Relax. Let go. Underneath are the everlasting arms. Let go. I will catch you. Do you trust me so little?’ "

Although this was a fairly final way to trust in God’s (Christ’s) presence, but I think it certainly applies to the rest of our lives as well.

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)