Celebrating Easter

Tomorrow most SpareOomers will be celebrating Easter (this year Orthodox Easter comes on May 2) . Easter, together with Christmas, was, unfortunately, a stressful time for Lewis, because he felt obligated to respond to all the letters he would get, probably mostly from people he did not know. Of course, he made up for this, first of all, in his glorious depiction of Aslan’s death and resurrection, and also in what he wrote about Christ’s resurrection, such as the condensed quote in “The Quotable Lewis” (from chapter 16 of “Miracles”):

“The records represent Christ…as withdrawing six weeks later, into some different mode of existence. It says – He says – that He goes ‘to prepare a place for us.’ This presumably means that He is about to create that whole new Nature which will provide the environment or conditions for His glorified humanity and, in Him, for ours…It is not the picture of an escape from any and every kind of Nature into some unconditioned and utterly transcendent life. It is the picture of a new human nature and a new Nature in general, being brought into existence…The old field of space, time, matter, and the senses is to be weeded, dug, and sown for a new crop. We may be tired of that old field: God is not.”

This will be the second year in a row for curtailed Easter celebrations. But the New Nature that Lewis speaks of will always await us, of course.

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)

1 Like

Thankfully, my church has been largely back to normal since last summer, with the biggest difference being that we’ve moved to having two services rather than one, in order to allow families to spread out in the sanctuary. Last year’s Easter was virtual, but this year’s was back in church. We concluded, as is our custom on Easter, with the singing of the Hallelujah Chorus.

Dan, thanks for sharing this. It sounds like a glorious way to end an Easter service. I wonder if anyone else might like to share their Easter celebration this year?

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)

1 Like

I agree, surprising as it was our first Easter there (I typically associate that chorus, along with the rest of The Messiah, with Christmas). What’s somewhat challenging is that the congregation are encouraged to sing along, and it’s not a piece you can just pick up by ear and sing along. This year, they handed out scores to those who wanted them, and I expect I got a few notes right, but…