Andy Weir and the Hail Mary Project

Latest post in my blog on popular science:
Andy Weir and the Hail Mary Project
https://populscience.blogspot.com/2022/09/andy-weir-and-hail-mary-project.html

Regards,

Manuel, thank your for your post. The expression, “Hail Mary”, in this context, would immediately be understood by Americans familiar with American football. It would refer to a “Hail Mary pass”, a final, desperation throw of the football with no clear recipient in sight with the hope that, by pure luck (and prayer to Mary (:-)), it will be caught, and the game will be won.

I have not read The Egg, but how is it not compatible with Catholicism (or Christianity)?

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)

Thank you, Dimitry. I’m not fluent with American football. However, I’ve seen a web where Andy Weir did say that the combination Hail Mary-(full of)Grace was intentional.

In The Egg, there is an extreme form of reincarnation, Christ is just a man, the Creator is a previously created being, and humans will turn into a new God and start creating new worlds. I find this incompatible with Christianity :slight_smile:

Regards,