Using what we have

This is a translation of a scriptural meditation from the Russian book, “Day by Day”:

Scripture: “She did what she could” (Mark: 14, 8)

Meditation:

“What are you holding, Abel?”
“A small lamb from the flock, Lord, – I am bringing it to you as a sacrifice”.
And that is what he did. And the incense from this offering continues to ascend to God to this day as an unending sacrifice of praise.
“What are you holding, Moses?”
“A simple staff, Lord, that I use to herd my sheep”.
“Use it for Me”.
He obeyed, and with this simple staff miracles were performed which amazed the Egyptians and their proud king.
“Mary, what are you holding?”
“A vessel with nard, O Lord, with which I want to anoint Jesus, Your only begotten”.
She did this and not only was the whole house filled with the fragrance of the nard, but to this day we feel the fragrance of this service of love in the pages of the Gospel and in the hearts of those who read them, and it has been preserved through the centuries “and throughout the world in memory of her and what she did” (Mark: 14, 9)
“Poor woman, what are you holding?”
“Two small coins, Lord, – all that I have, I have nothing more to put into Your treasury”.
She put them there and her meager gift, which was greater than all the rest in Christ’s eyes, to this day prompts and encourages people to make sacrifices to God.
“What are you holding, Tabitha?”
“A needle, Lord”.
“Work with it for Me”.
And so it was. And not only did she clothe the sick and poor in the town of Joppa, but to this day we recall with reverence her devoted efforts, which serve as an example for many.
Let everyone do what they can."

This again brings to mind what Lewis wrote in his essay, “Learning in Wartime” (from the collection, “Weight of Glory”):

“The work of a Beethoven and the work of a charwoman become spiritual on precisely the same condition, that of being offered to God, of being humbly done ‘as to the Lord’. This does not, of course, mean that it is for everyone a mere toss-up whether he should sweep rooms or compose symphonies. A mole must dig to the glory of God and a cock must crow. We are members of one body, but differentiated members, each with his own vocation. A man’s upbringing, his talents, his circumstances, are usually a tolerable index of his vocation.”

Dimitry
“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)