COVID-19 vaccines

Latest post in my blog on popular science:
COVID-19 vaccines
http://populscience.blogspot.com/2021/06/covid-19-vaccines.html

Regards,

Thank you, Manuel, for sharing your experience with the Moderna vaccine. Truly horrific. Since it was the only known variable, we have to assume the vaccine precipitated the pathophysiology which followed. Fortunately, a rare occurrence which is no consolation if you happen to be one of the fraction of a percent who has serious side effects.

No vaccine is completely safe and no vaccine is completely effective. Living with risk of all kinds is part of the “pain” Lewis analyzes for us in The Problem of Pain.

Lots of the folks I work with seem to be expect their lives to have no adversity at all and are shocked and offended when adversity happens. They look for someone to blame. Folks also seem to expect to do whatever they want to do with no consequences. Their “locus of control” is external which means they blame others for their troubles.

Lewis says in POP that pain of all kinds can contributes to this world as a “vale of soul making.” There is a Japanese art of making beautiful objects out of broken pottery pieces which is a great metaphor for God’s huge redemptive project in this planet. In the case of humanity, God has given us the power to reject Him and thwart His redemptive, transformative work in our lives.

In your case, Manuel, your thoughts about your experience are ample evidence of God working in and through you to transform your suffering into something beautiful to His Glory. Thank you again for sharing.

Blessings,

Ruby

1 Like

Thank you, Ruby, for your comments. As usual they are straight to the point, and introduce a C.S.Lewis link that escaped me :slight_smile:

Manuel, thank you for sharing your experiences. One Lewis reference it brings to mind is what he writes in Letter XX of Letters to Malcolm:

“…most real good has been done me in this life has involved [suffering]”

I know that this has been true in my life as well. And I know that what has happened to you has certainly been permitted by God for a purpose, as you say. May God give you the knowledge to understand the reason for it. And it is good, of course, to see your attitude towards this.

Dimitry

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)

Correction to Lewis quote: “most real good THAT has been done me” (sorry).

Dimitry

Thank you Dimitry! Thanks for another apposite C.S.Lewis quote.

Regards,